Friday, August 30, 2013

Themed Menu Planning

I have been doing dinner menu planning for years.  I find when I menu plan, it cuts down on the fast food, eating out and just plain bad eating habits.  It is cost effective and can be done for even the busiest of schedules.  In the past I would sit down with my recipe binder on Sunday and plan out what I wanted for the week based on what I had on hand and sales of the week.  For our breakfast and lunches we generally eat the same things and I just have a running list in my grocery app.  I just uncheck if we need those items so I can remember to pick those items up.

Recently I have decided to go with themed menu planning.  I thought of general types of meals that my family enjoys.  I work out of the home 3 days a week, so I usually try and find crockpot meals for those days, so dinner can be ready when I walk in the door.  Pinterest is great for menu planning because I put categories of meals and can go right to them each week to maybe try something new.  Currently we are doing:

Sunday - Italian
Monday - Beef
Tuesday - Soup
Wednesday - Mexican/Asian
Thursday - Breakfast
Friday - Pizza
Saturday - Salad/Sandwich
 
 
I will be posting our weekly meal plan here on Saturdays, to give you an idea of how this works.  It is one way mom's can provide good meals for her family and enjoy the schedule instead of dreading meal time.  You can't always keep the meals for the days planned because life happens.  However, the great thing with menu planning is you have on hand the items for each recipe and can make them any day of the week. 
 
Happy Menu Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment