I saw this years ago on a Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals show and it has been a favorite in our house. It is awesome because if you grab a piece of meat, pickle, lettuce and tomato, you would think you were eating a cheeseburger. So good, you don't miss the bun!
2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix*
1/2 cup water
1 pkg brick sharp Cheddar (I use a Cracker Barrel or like generic)
2 large hearts romaine lettuce
2 cups sliced dill pickles, drained
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
*if you don't have soup mix, you can use 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and ground black pepper.
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 tablespoons drained salad pimentos or, 1/4 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Combine the meat with the Lipton onion soup mix and water (or other seasonings).
- Make into little patties about the size of 2-3 inches in diameter
- Grill or broil, flipping once for about 3 minutes on each side
- While meat is cooking, whisk ingredients for salad dressing together and set aside.
- Slice cheese about 1/4 inch thick
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger and cook until cheese is melted
- Slice tomatoes and add to bowl, along with lettuce and pickles. Then toss the dressing with the salad
- Top the salad with the mini-cheeseburger