Saturday, August 14, 2010

Impromptu Freezer Cooking Day!

As a mom who works out of the home two days a week, in home the other three, and busy kid's schedules, I want to be able to provide quick healthy meals.  To achieve this, I do a freezer cooking day usually once a month. I have planned out my cooking day, that was due to take place at the end of the month.  However, I got some chicken breast on sale this past week along with some blueberries that I had and didn't want to go bad.  Therefore, I had some time this morning so I decided to jump start my freezer cooking day.  I usually cook up a lot of my chicken then cut them how I like them so I can just thaw and throw them in a recipe.  Below is what I cooked up in about an hour time.  I have also included the recipes that I use these items.
Boiled, sliced and diced chicken, cool, and then placed into Ziploc bags measured out to 2 cups.  I mark them with the recipe I plan on using them in, so it is easy once they are frozen.

Blueberry muffins, cooled, and then place in Ziploc bags with 1 muffin in each bag.

Oriental Chicken Salad
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 head of lettuce (whatever type you like, we use green leafy)
1 large can mandarin oranges
1/2 can LaChoy Rice Noodles
1/2 cup sliced almonds
approx. 1/2 cup Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame salad dressing

Put all the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and then toss with salad dressing.  Feeds about 4-6 people.

Ritzy Chicken - may not sound appealing, but everyone I have cooked this for including kids LOVE it!
1 1/2 rolls Ritz crackers, crushed (I have used off-brand too)
1 stick margarine or butter (you can cut back on this)
2 cups cooked diced chicken
1 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz. sour cream

Melt butter and mix well with cracker crumbs.  Place 2/3 of crushed crackers on bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish.  Place chicken over crackers.  Pour mixture of broth, soup, and sour cream over chicken.  Sprinkle rest of crackers over top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Feeds about 4-6 people.

*along with this we will have a fruit or vegetable

Chicken Caesar Wraps
2 cups of cooked sliced chicken
1 head of romaine lettuce
1/2 box of Caesar seasoned croutons
1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of chopped red pepper (optional)
approx. 1/2 cup Caesar dressing
1 package of flour tortillas

Combine the first 5 ingredients in large salad bowl.  Toss with salad dressing. Each person then puts about 1/2 cup of salad mixture on tortilla and wrap. Feeds about 4-6 people.

Very Berry Blueberry Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup Splenda, granulated
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
Place over rack in top 1/3 of oven
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  You can either line your muffin pan with paper liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  I just spray my muffin pan because I like to take them out and freeze.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside
  3. Beat margarine at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add Splenda and honey, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time beating until blended after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.  Alternately add flour mixture and milk.  Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Fold in berries.
  4. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.  Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden.  Remove immediately and cool on wire rack
When I do my big freezer day, I will be having more resources on how to have a successful cooking day.  Until then, enjoy this teaser!

No comments:

Post a Comment