Saturday, July 3, 2010

Things learned from shopping with Peapod

Peapod sent me coupon for $20 off my first order.  I decided it would be worth placing the order to try it out.  So here are some key points to remember:
  • My intent was to just spend a little over $20 for greater savings, but realized at checkout, you have to spend minimum $60
  • For $60 delivery is 9.95, the good news is my next delivery is free and from what I understand the offer free shipping a lot.  And the fee goes down, the more you spend.  And you have to factor you didn't have to drive or go through the store.
  • The quality of the produce was great, I don't know I could have picked it any better.
  • Make sure you look at the quantity, like the meat is in 1/2 lb portions.  At first I thought I was getting another brand for 3.99/lb since that is what I am used to.  Then quickly realized it was 1/2 lb. price.
  • I went straight to the specials section and only ordered things on sale, since I would do this anyway.
  • You can use online and circular coupons, but they are taken off the next order.
  • You can get money off if you pick greater time window of delivery
  • It is great that they deliver as early as the next morning, if order placed by 6pm the night before.
  • They have a tip line on the bill, this was new since the last time I used them 7 years ago.
In my first order I got:
2 avocados
4 red bell peppers
1 bag of Dole salad mix
1 lb of deli ham
1 16 oz Daisy sour cream
2 8 oz bags mozzarella cheese
1 8 oz block of cheddar cheese
1 16 ct Velveeta sliced cheese
1 8 oz can of grated Parmesan cheese
1 box 8 ct Minute Maid Frozen Juice Bars
1 box 4 ct Nestle Drumsticks
1 8 ct Giant Hamburger Buns
1 8 ct Giant Hot Dog Potato rolls
1 6 ct Thomas' English Muffins
1 32 oz Giant Pancake Mix
2 lg size Lifesavers Pep o Mint candies
2 21 ct Pull ups
2 96 ct plastic forks

For a total of 64.41 +1.38 tax +9.95 delivery fee - $1 time discount - $20 coupon = $54.74
Total savings 44.04 before coupons.  My next order will have $4 off, plus $10 coupon, plus free shipping.

Not my best "visit", but with coupons they may send it may be worth just the convenience of sitting at the computer and only buy what I know I need.

What are your thoughts?  Has anyone ever tried Peapod?  Or any other online grocery? Why or Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment